Friday, February 22, 2013

Cloud Catalog #153.






Oh shush, you prick. I love Anthony Perkins, hence the stills. 

I just finished watching The Trial by Orson Welles, and though I have some minor issues regarding its many and major differences from the novel (from the narrative details to the flow and to the rearranged chapters and to the overall tone), I must admit that I'm overwhelmed by the liberty that Welles had in the adaptation, exercising what seems to me his greatest talent, and that is, allowing the language of cinema to be emphasized and maximized despite making use of an enormous piece of literary material.

His touch of genius is very much present here: the elaborate set designs, the striking cinematography, the bizarre camera angles, and the use of incongruous non-diegetic sound. 

What endears me to it the most, however, is the lovely (and at times crazy) performance of Anthony Perkins as Josef K. OK, I knew he'd had relationships with guys before he married his wife, so the attraction is quite understandable. But there are numerous moments in The Trial when I feel that Andrew Garfield seems to have taken acting cues from him, from the softness of his voice and the hushed way he delivers it to the almost effeminate movement and naturally creepy smile, not to mention the manner in which he exudes that boyish charm and gangliness. But honest! He's really good. It flushed that image of Norman Bates from my mind, at least.


Hello, dream boy!


No comments: